Friday, July 27, 2007

plugging along

The past couple of days have been crazy. Ants basically tried to overrun the house *gag* and my natural, gentle poisons were no match for their numbers. I finally gave up and bought evil Raid. Hate! At least now I have my kitchen back. TAKE THAT, SUCKAS!
After one spectacular episode of cutting on the wrong side of the ruler, I've gathered speed and confidence with every measurement and cut I've made.
The instructions call for "assorted pastel prints," and the diagrams look like there are 8 different fabrics. Needless to say, I bought 8 different fabrics. The problem is that I need to cut 15, 30, or 60 pieces of the same size. Of course, I can't really divide 15 (or 30 or 60 for that matter) by 8 (to make the same number of each size piece out of each fabric). So I came up with a complicated system (what else did you expect from me?) of using each fabric the same number of times. Of course, it was too complicated to keep track of, and I had to make an excel spreadsheet.
The love for excel spreadsheets runs deep in my family, and though until now I've relentlessly made fun of that love every chance I got, I have humbled myself and given in.
I love it on this side of the spreadsheet love. SOOO ORGANIZED!
(Bonus: Flickr notes explain my (shockingly unlabeled) columns)

4 comments:

Karyn said...

Let me promise you this. IF I ever find myself working on a project that requires use of a spreadsheet, the project is DONE!!!

I'm laughing (in a good way) at you and your spreadsheet.

You'll be the one laughing when you make the world's most beautiful quilt and I'll be wishing I knew how to make spreadsheets :)

tweetey30 said...

This sounds soo cool. I am happy you are attmepting this project.

Chara Michele said...

I have never used an excel spreadsheet for sewing before. Other things definitely, but not sewing:) I have to say that is fairly impressive!

Absolutely Small said...

Yes! *Intenet high- five of solidarity for people who incorporate serious and officely things into theior crafts*
I love it! From one over organizer to another, I salute you!